Rough notes from this morning's keynote:
- Theme around "emergence".
- Three styles of collaboration: document-centric, people-centric and community-centric
- Community-centric is what drives the next generation of workers
- Need to re-tool the enterprise by providing workers with tools they use before they entered the workforce
- But, you need to do so in a way that fits the enterprise - security, compliance, etc.
- Innovation and growth critical - talent initiatives are much more critical due to shifting workforce demographics
- Social software - KM coming around again (telling an old story in new ways)
- Self-organization - communities form.
- People as a search filtering mechanism for filtering information needs - not about search, but about discovery
- Spin around multi-tasking and context (setting up the old argument of a model view controller UI paradigm, ugh) - agree on the need to coordinate and pivot around information needs - need for context and situational applications, as well as mobile aspects but not the all-in-one-live-in-my-app-only line of thinking)
- Composite applications - (portal UI re-packaged) - mashups as a productivity accelerator.
- Setting up the argument for Symphony (money diverted into Office, etc).
- SAP news: "Atlantic" ... first joint software product between the two - access SAP information from Lotus desktop. 4Q08. Leave, travel expense processing from Lotus Notes. Workflow.
- Demo: Atlantic plug-in brings SAP data into Notes.
- Jeff Eisen (client), Russ Hoden (server): Version 8: Notes 8 UI improvements, open client, mentions Sametime Unyte ... DWA re-architecture ... iPhone support ... Notes on Linux and on Mac (beta now), Domino - admin, storage, compression,
- Demo: Sametime Unyte called out. Google gadget integration, widgets can be shared via a catalog or email. Widgets can live in sidebar. Policies to manage widget distribution. I wonder if there is any security check on widgets as they are e-mailed around or before they are posted into a catalog. Widgets can be the front-end to a web service. DWA "light mode" - demo of Apple integration.
- Domino 8.5: betted ID management, opening up Domino Directory, new data store (reduce mail file store, attachments, etc), Lotus Protector for e-mail security, Domino Design for Web 2.0 applications, reskin existing applications
- Demo: Designer improvements, new design elements, etc. Built on Eclipse so other plug-ins can be supported.
- Lotus Symphony, 400K downloads, performance improvements, language versions and UI improvements based on community feedback. Developer capabilities coming in next beta.
- Happy 10th anniversary for Sametime
- Celina and Carestream discussion re: unified communications and collaboration
- Review of events (e.g., acquisition of Webdialogs), Sametime Entry, Sametime Standard)
- Sametime Advanced and Sametime Unified Telephony
- Sametime Advanced: community features, broadcast features (polling), Skilltap, persistent chat rooms (similar to Parlano/Microsoft), share files within chat room, screen sharing between people,
- Sametime Unified Telephony: integrating multiple phone systems into one user experience - aggregates presence - external telephone integration so now a traditional phone call "call the PC" ... rules support ... redirect calls (from the phone to your mobile cell) ...
- Added accelerators for portal (collaboration, learning, content, etc)
- Now focusing on industry accelerators (vs. general productivity etc)
- New dashboard builders (Cognos, etc)
- Seems like mashup technologies being positioned to re-energize portal interest ...
- Demo: Lotus Connections integration with portal, ajax, atom integration; rich content in portal, can "tear away" portlet and video continues to run; drag and drop within portal (e.g., take search results and drag onto a form to populate fields); customized forms, web based designer; dashboard framework makes it easier to build dashboard applications;
- Quickr and Connections discussion; Quickr 8.1 shipping in March; integration with Lotus Notes, Symphony and Outlook, will eventually integration with backends FileNet P8 and IBM CM8 products;
- Demo: Quickr - personal space - feed support - search - revised UI - integration with Windows file explorer - integration with Lotus Connections info (profiles) - new features include: stream of updates, watch lists, ratings for documents, tags for files, transfer files into ECM, leverages Connections for Activities, media library such as podcasts but also perhaps simulating a corporate Youtube -
- Version 2 integrates with a broader variety of tools from other vendors, implements attention management capbilities, revised "front page" that gives more of a dashboard / destination view of social relationships and contacts
- Demo: Lotus Connections Homepage - updates from colleagues, support for widgets to be added (Yahoo Answers) - federated search to consolidate results across Connections components - integration with Quickr personal files, aggregates recent posts and other social contributions, profiles allow you to manage invitations from others - improved Community features (adding discussion forum, save chats into forum) - communities can integrate with Socialtext and Atlassian for wiki spaces within community
- Demo: Atlas - examines interaction patterns - visually maps out network structure - expert demo - can view "connectedness" and best way to reach that person - best path to contact someone.
- Mashups: IBM Lotus Mashups: lightweight environment - graphical, browser-based tool designed to be used by business users. Mashup catalog. Ratings. Tagging. Commentary. Based on standards (but not defined what standards are being used) - can deliver them in Notes, WebSphere, other sites.
- Demo: Drag and drops of feeds (interesting angle to take on the demo since IBM has no underlying feed syndication platform). Can wire widgets together but no info on how wired - what "standard" is there for wiring widgets?).
- Lotus Foundations: pre-packaged solutions containing infrastructure and applications - fast to deploy/configure - acquiring Net Integration Technologies which will help in this segment - other providers can integrate with Foundations
- "Bluehouse" - project to serve companies with less than 500 employees - will extend/compliment Foundations - sharing contacts, projects, files, etc - SaaS play. Marketplace for SMB. Partners can participate and integrate.
- Software and SaaS = Foundations + "Bluehouse"
- Demo: "store and share" information ... contact management (looks like a work-in-progress clone of Plaxo or LinkedIn or Xing)
- Closing remarks