A lot has gone on since my last update in September. My workload has been incredible over the past few months (September/October) and will continue that way until mid-November when I wrap up the data gathering and consolidation phase of this field research effort. On top of all the travel needed to conduct 1/3 of these interview sessions in a face-to-face manner, I attended a couple of vendor events (Oracle and Cisco) and presented at our Catalyst conference last week in Prague. So my life has been more than a little hectic. But - I wanted to share some info on the project's progression. As it stands now:
- The number of organizations participating stands at 22
- The number of interview sessions look like it will end up being 33
- The number of hours spent listening to people "tell their story" regarding social networks is about 50 hours
- About 1/3 of these interviews have been face-to-face sessions
- About 15 or these sessions have been with non-IT groups (line-of-business management, HR management, corporate communications, etc)
- The remaining sessions have been with representatives from IT organizations
- Each session seems to produce 10-15 pages of hand-written notes
- The hand-written notes are interpreted in a group session to produce "affinity statements"
- The number of affinity statements seems to run around 70 per session
- The consolidation phase will have over 2000 affinity statements to filter / sort / categorize / etc.
This project has been very demanding (consuming virtually all of my attention that past few months) but the insight has been incredibly unique and much different than any other research method I've applied over the years since I've been an analyst (1996). The interview sessions will close out the end of next week (11/7) and be followed by the consolidation session in mid-November where our team will "let the data speak to us". After that event, the process becomes more normal - an analysis review session for my proposed document(s) and a deliverable due end of January (actual publishing will depend on the overall production schedule).
Sometime in late November I should be back to a more normal blogging pattern....